Thursday, July 16, 2009

Chairman's News

July 6th Update
Construction Updates
I am sure the questions are numerous concerning our progress on both the portables and the Grammar building. If you have specific questions you may e-mail me. You can also see the construction progress via the link on the left. I will update this once a week if there have been changes.
There was a question on the PFA site regarding the canals; they will be fenced.
I know that it is tempting to think that nothing is happening and that we won't be ready in time. Quite often work is happening behind the scenes to make sure that the work can go quickly once it starts. I am confident that we will open on time. I am staking my reputation on it and I do not take that lightly.
I am expecting that we will need volunteers the 2nd week of August. The actual dates may change but be ready to help move us in during that time frame.

Waiting List
Waiting List updates are at this link.
There has been a lot of movement on the waiting list this week. If you are on the list be sure to check it to see if your child is on the list waiting to register.

Musings from the Chairman
How do you explain a Classical Education? This is a question all of our board members and staff have to answer frequently. How do you as parents answer this question?
Do you want your children to attend our academy because you agree with our philosphy or are you simply looking for a seat in a charter school?
One thing you will find at our academy is that our leadership is passionate about our philosophy. We don't see ourselves as just another alternative. We believe that every school should use our systems. Not everyone agrees, but we are confident that our education philosophy will help every child be the best they can be.
I challenge you to write how you explain it. Send me an e-mail with your answer. I will compile your answers and put them on my Google site. (Sign Anonymous if you don't want your name listed.)
I think the shortest and most simplest answer is that it is about ideas. The purpose isn't to just provide information. It is to teach the student how to think and how to learn. The teacher who simply expects a student to learn facts will not captivate a class in the same manner as the teacher who encourages the student to discover the answer with them. The teacher doesn't just provide all of the answers but helps the students develop the tools to figure it out.
The Classical Education doesn't just focus on the intellect of the student, but also focuses on the soul of the student. The student begins to love learning because rather then being fed meaningless facts their soul is being fed and challenged. The student gains confidence because they aren't allowed to fail and move on. The student is taught how to learn and succeed.
I hated school. My classmates were not kind. My teachers were disinterested and paid little attention to me. I was bored. I spent my time finding ways to do the least possible to get through just so I could move on. That followed me into college as well. I spent a day with Andrew Kern and wished I could have spent the rest of my life talking about the great questions of life. Looking back there were a few times where teachers or friends would bring up great questions for debate and my soul would leap for joy over the thrill of searching for the answer.
Classical Education is not just for the smart kids; it is for every student regardless of their intelligence level. Each student is challenged at their own level. I am thrilled and somewhat envious that my children will have the benefit of a Classical Education.
How do you explain a Classical Education?
Thank You,
Kyle Borger
Chairman
NCA Board of Directors

PFA Calendar

Which would you prefer regarding the moderation of the google group? PFA blog posts will still be posted on the google group either way, but it's up to parents how much involvment you'd like the PFA to have in moderating.

What would you like our Art Program to be named?